Thursday, September 4, 2008

Paranoia?

For a good couple of days now Oalin has been itching his legs and arms from what looked to be Mosquito bites. Everyday it seemed as if 5 new bites had appeared. Then, the other night, my Dad thought that one of them might look like Poison Ivy. I checked, but everything was so scratched up, I couldn't tell. Last night, while Oalin was playing, I caught a glimpse of one on his leg. It was puffy and white and completely looked to be Poison Ivy. I called the doctor and was lucky to get an appointment at 8:20 at night. For the next two hours my mind started to race. Was it Poison Ivy? If so, where did he get it? And where is the oil now.. I'm going to have to wash everything. Is it a spider bite? Is there a bug in his bed! Oh my gosh, somehow a spider is living in his bed and is attacking him at night. Should I throw the bed out right now? Should I spray it with something? I had come to the conclusion that it was in fact a spider and started my frantic search on the web to find some pictures of bites for proof. Sung assured me that this wasn't the case and that Oalin probably had mosquito bites and they just looked red because he was scratching at them so intensely. 8:20 finally came and the nurse led us into the room. She asked a series of questions... "Where is it?" Only on his extremities.. though particularly around his feet and now today the palm of his hand. "Hmmm..." Dramatic pause. Have you checked the inside of his mouth?" His mouth? No. I hadn't. How could I have not checked his mouth?! I pulled down his lip to find... this...


Hard to see in the picture, but it's a big white spot on the inside of his lip! The nurse looked at me with wide eyes. Oh, my gosh! He has Hand, Foot, Mouth. How could I have not thought about that! Where did he get it? School! Agh. I knew he shouldn't go to school.. look what's already happened to my poor baby! The Doctor came in and quietly looked over Oalin... his feet.. his hands... his mouth... and then said in a very calm and gentle voice. "Nope. Not hand, foot, mouth. It's mosquito bites. And that's a canker sore." Ha! I completely started to laugh. I had gotten myself all worked up over, yup, mosquito bites. The doctor was so sweet. Not once treating me like the paranoid mother I am. Silly, Mommy.

No comments: